[Nov 25th] Single Origin Series: Ft. Komal and Akshay, The South India Coffee Company, Karnataka, India
SOS 5: Specialty Excelsa from the Subcontinent!
Komal and Akshay together run South India Coffee Company, and Mooleh Maney estate under its umbrella, where they produce sustainable and environmentally responsible high quality coffee using traditional farming techniques. Their plantation is located in North Coorg, on the banks of the Harangi backwaters in the foothills of the Western Ghats.
In recent harvests, they've made phenomenal contributions in growing, processing, and creating wider awareness and acceptance of a third, largely overlooked coffee species widely present in the Indian Subcontinent that grows on trees and requires a man with a ladder. Enter, Maara Kaapi.
SOS Episode 5: The South India Coffee Company
Maara Kaapi is what the Liberica and Excelsa species are colloquially known as at origin. Maara = Tree & Kaapi = Coffee. We've heard about and tasted Liberica before, but what about Excelsa?
Excelsa is the genetically differentiated species that is very similar in likeness to Liberica, and has hence faced a double whammy; that of being overlooked first, and misidentified second. But in recent times, South India Coffee Company, with Komal and Akshay at the helm, have done path-breaking research to assert its existence, and significance. Earlier this year, we paid them a visit to see what all the hype was about, and safe to say, we were blown away. We knew immediately that Excelsa requisites a platform, and that we would gladly provide it that.
This next SOS is exactly that; providing Excelsa a mainstream voice, in the city, spoken for by the people that grew it.
Date: 25th November
Time: 7-9 PM
Venue: The Craftery by Subko
What to Expect:
- Exclusive Specialty Excelsa Launch and Tasting,
- Conversation with Komal and Akshay,
- Specially designed merch and Early Access Coffee Samples including Commodity, Burgundy Honey, Black Honey, and exclusive to Subko Yeast Naturals Excelsa.
The event will feature an in-person talk by Komal and Akshay, spanning the acceptance of overlooked indigenous coffee species into the mainstream, correctly identifying the available wealth of genetic diversity in Indian coffee vis-à-vis Liberica and Excelsa, and the standoff between commodity and specialty coffee where these species are concerned. Along with the discussion, the event will feature early access tastings and giveaways of our first ever South India Coffee Company lots, introducing the Excelsa species. Did we mention the stickers, postcards, and totes for giveaway? Oh, and the food? Well.
Limited capacity of 50 people only
The event includes coffee tastings, unlimited batch brew and Subko Bakehouse offerings for all attendees.
Terms and Conditions
- The venue for the event is – The Craftery by Subko, Unit No. 2 Jak Compound, D K, 1st Cross Ln, Byculla East, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400027.
- Guests are advised to wear masks whenever possible.
- We love your company and we would be anticipating your arrival at least twenty minutes prior to the starting time.
- We will be handing out a goodie bag and other merchandise towards the end of the event. Be sure to ask for it!
- Tickets once purchased are non-refundable.
Adding product to your cart